Wednesday, July 28, 2010

An Incomplete Almighty


The painting on the left can be seen on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, painted by Michelangelo Buonarroti in 1510. The drawing on the right can be seen in the hallway of my apartment outside my bedroom, sketched by me in 2005. I pass by it without notice every time I go into the room, but in the back of my mind I've been thinking about completing it for 5 years now.

I guess there's something I really like about it's sketchy nature.. but it leaves a great something to be desired. And yet I'm intimidated! Now, I've done master studies before and I really enjoy doing them, although it's been far too long since I've caressed a paintbrush over a canvas. But ever since I completed this sketch, applying paint to it has seemed difficult, but perhaps I just haven't considered it for long enough. I'm certainly not one to leave unfinished projects neglected.

Maybe it's this close-up reference image I found of Michelangelo's vision of the face of God - with those handsomely crisp paint strokes made by such a master about such a subject! that many Sistine visitors have never even really seen in detail. It's truly amazing. I wonder how well I could successfully achieve it. That wonder is surely motivating.

I plan to work some courage into picking this up again and completing it so it may grace the wall with it's presence (as currently it does not except by me, and only sometimes). But I'd love to have the likeness of such a fine piece in my possession.

Although...

Currently the sketch is about 12x16" .. if painted, I'd like it to be larger. Plus that way my original sketch remains in-tact.

Am I being too ambitious? I think I'd like to tackle this!

No comments:

Post a Comment